Call us on 01326 312440
Our Green Policy
The Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) is the leading green tourism certification scheme in the UK. Businesses opting to join are assessed by a qualified assessor against a rigorous set of criteria, covering energy and water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and more. If businesses meet the required standard they are awarded Bronze, Silver or Gold based on their level of achievement. The Greenbank Hotel has been awarded Gold.
The Greenbank are proud to have been shortlisted for the prestigious Goldstar Awards – the highest accolade given by the GTBS.
The Greenbank Hotel has taken significant steps to make the hotel as environmentally friendly as possible, as well as supporting a number of initiatives in the local community. Here are a few highlights:
- Waste compactors, reducing bin waste collections by half.
- Cardboard, paper, magazines and plastic all now compacted for recycling.
- Glass jars no longer used for breakfast preserves reducing our glass recycling needs.
- Quantity of pc printers reduced and usage restricted to only black and white printing.
- Toners and inks recycled.
- Extra efficient gas burners added to our boilers reducing our gas consumption by around 1/3.
- Energy saving water pumps installed.
- Restaurant linen usage reduced by 1/3.
- All guest rooms have energy isolation switches for when room is unoccupied.
- Staff all offered the cycle to work scheme, 3 now chose to cycle instead of drive.
- Public toilets have efficient water management systems and motion detector lighting.
- Dyson air dryers have replaced paper towels.
- Electrical induction as opposed to gas in all new kitchen equipment and in new pub kitchen.
- Environmentally sensitive replacement washing machine.
Local community links:
- We welcome all work experience, e.g. Action for Children, Springboard, all local schools and colleges.
- Voluntary team provided for Falmouth spring clean.
- Supported RFA Argus with staff donating food, toiletries and toys for Sierra Leone.
- HMS Warspite lunch held in her honour when we uncovered a dance floor from her decking in our bar!
Avid supporter of;
Charities: Stanley’s Friends, Penhaligons Friends, Emmaus UK, Pink Wig Events, Treliske Breast Cancer Unit, Children’s Hospice South West, Cornwall Air Ambulance.
Associations: Gylly Surf Lifesaving Club, Falmouth Rugby Club under 11’s, Penryn Rugby Club Learning Zone, Falmouth Civic Society, Falmouth Rotary, Falmouth Working Boat Association.
Sponsorships: Falmouth Gig Club, Falmouth Rugby Club, Penryn Rugby Club, Fal River Festival, Falmouth Week.
- 98.4% of staff recruited from within Cornwall and we enjoy minimal staff turnover.
- Food continues to be sourced locally, e.g. eggs from the Roseland, fish from St. Ives, meat from Redruth, Vegetables from West Country in Falmouth, dairy from Roddas, bread from Padstow, tea from Tregothnan, beverages from St. Austell.
- We’re active members of Falmouth Business Club and the Cornwall Chamber of Commerce fostering business links across the County.
- Where possible goods and services are sourced from within the County, e.g. printing, signage, building supplies, art, stationary, consumables.
- Guests are being encouraged to arrive by boat, using our deep water moorings and pontoon access and we also offer secure CCTV monitored bike parking in our garage.
- We offer a financial incentive scheme for all guests arriving by public transport.
- We actively promote in-house and online and also act as an agent for the Fal Mussel Card – a local scheme of public transport promotion on and off the water around the River Fal.
- We are corporate supporters of Cornwall Wildlife Trust.
- We have a ‘Green lounge’ area and info zone available to all, containing information on train, bus and ferry transport links and timetables. In addition this area has a notice board highlighting our credentials, GTBS award and CSR and community activity information board.
- Naturally in the guest bedrooms we also have signage to encourage minimal laundry use, also further green information is held in the room information folders.
Ramblers Organisation – www.ramblers.org.uk – The Greenbank Hotel is listed on the Rambler’s website as one of the ‘Walker-Friendly Accommodation Providers’ and this Guest Guide lists all of the Walks in Cornwall, contact information and some timetables of organised walks in Falmouth and other local areas.
SSW (Sustainability South West), Fair Shares Fair Choices, Shape a Better South West, Future Footprints, Future Foundations and CoaST.