Nick’s perfect pancake day recipe
Hooray, it’s pancake day! Whether you’re a fan of the traditional lemon and sugar, or a savoury version is more your thing – follow Executive Chef Nick’s top tips for the most moreish pancake day recipe you’ll scoff this year.
- 200g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 2 large eggs to be lightly whisked
- Generous chunk of butter
- A pinch of Cornish salt
- Splash of olive oil or butter for cooking
Melt the butter and allow it to cool. Then put your flour, eggs, milk (bit by bit) and pinch of salt into a bowl. Whisk together and then slowly stir in the butter to create a smooth batter. Set aside for half an hour or so to rest if you have time, or start cooking straight away.
Using a medium flat frying pan on a medium heat, carefully wipe it with some oiled or buttered kitchen paper. When it’s hot, pour the batter into the pan and allow it to bubble in the middle. Once your pancake is looking golden underneath (one minute should be enough), use a spatula to lift the edges and loosen from the bottom of the pan. And now the fun bit – flip it!
GIVE THESE A WHIRL…
1. Our friends at Lynher Dairies are making us peckish with their Cornish Yarg, squash and sage pancake recipe.
2. Equally we’re head over heels for Rodda’s chocolate and banana combo.
4. Olive Magazine’s smoked salmon pancakes with lemon and caper crème fraiche is our new best friend.
5. And don’t forget, we’ve given our American-style pancakes a permanent place on our brunch menu, so you can tuck into them all year round. Who says you can only have these sweet or savoury treats on pancake day?!